Birmingham City Business School
BUS6012 Business Operations and Systems
You may find the information for B&M Home Store UK online, in Keynotes in the Library, Company reports, cases online, and the financial press. The literature sources should be books, journals, refereed papers and appropriate online sources. You should find the sources of information that you will use to deliver the three assessment parts within the first four weeks of the course. This is important and failure to complete this task will jeopardise your performance on the module.
B&M was formed in 1978 and they are variety retailers in the UK. B&M operate 450 stores across UK and employs 20,000 workers (http://www.bandmretail.com/).
You should outline the essential components for ‘effective business operations management’ for B&M stores (B&M) in the UK. Use a soft systems methodology to evaluate the issues B&M might face if they decide to introduce facilities to enable their customers to order goods online and have them delivered to the door. Support your discussion with appropriate business operations models (i.e. operation strategy performance (priorities) model, customer value, the service gap model, four v’s profile etc.).
- You should start with what B&M are doing well compare to the sector (why customers turn up to the stores).
- Research the problems they may face going online (the change) using Soft Systems Methodology (critical analysis of need/problem to be solved).
- Support your discussions with appropriate operations models (quality/depth).
You should compare and contrast different models used by the sector in which B&M operates and recommend appropriate solutions for online shopping, make easier for customers to select and buy their products with fully integrated mobile applications (issues to consider centralised/decentralised inventory and delivery chain, customer value chain, cost implications, sustainability etc.).
With reference to the parcel conundrum (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18709348) recommend how B&M should respond to this conundrum (keeping in mind the possible technological and environmental (CO2) impact).
- Your academic enquiry should lead to synthesis of important issues around the problem and solution.
- Critical analysis and evaluation of customer’s digital experience.
- Innovative ways to serve their customers better.
- Consider the services which are unique and benefits to B&M.
- Consider customer value for shopping online.
- Comparison of different solution with costing and choose one solution to take forward with reasoning.
For the new system you should include Root Definition, CATWOE and produce a detailed “Rich Picture” (hand drawn) to fully illustrate your answer. Your rich picture must indicate the problems well as the solution. (Not included in the word count).
By means of a business process plan illustrate the changes including “AS IS” and “TO BE”. Detailed explanations of both plans are required and support your discussions with relevant literature. (Business process plans not included in the word count but explanation is included).
Tips: Structure for part two:
- Rich picture (fully illustrating part one).
- Root Definition (based on your chosen solution).
- Table for CATWOE (this is to test the Root Definition).
- “AS IS” process plan (include brief summer of the process plan).
- “TO BE” process plan (include summery to explain the process plan)
Discuss how the managers would turn performance objectives into operations priorities and the resources that would be necessary for effective implementation of the new process (about six hundred words).
Using a Balanced Scorecard, discuss how the business performance can be measured post implementation (refer to the last three years of company annual reports and any other relevant data for improvement and target trends for B&M). (Balanced scorecard charts are not included in word count but discussion on each prospective is included, about hundred words for each prospective)
Your work should be referenced including in text referencing with appropriate literature and form a logical and concise discussion.
ORDER NOW FOR THE PAPER