Ethical Position Paper
You are required to give consideration to an ethical issue that can be explored in depth with TWO people from different discipline backgrounds (from yourself and from each other). To do this, the ethical issue needs to be framed up as a question that can be posed to others, and then analyses with reference to ethical theory. The steps in this process are as follows:
(1) Define the ethical issue, re frame it as an ethical question, and explore practice or research literature relevant to the topic.
(2) Identify TWO people who have backgrounds in a professional discipline (eg medicine, law, nursing, education, psychology, social work, criminology, policing, public health, environmental practice), and invite them to participate in a discussion with you about their responses to this question.
(3) Engage these people (who must be over the age of 18) in discussion about their personal AND professional responses to the question, including their understanding of how their own discipline’s relevant ethical codes would inform their response.
(4) Conduct an analysis of each person’s position on the question by identifying relevant ethical theory that explains their position, and relevant ethical principles highlighted in the responses.
(5) The final step is to reflect on and articulate your own personal AND professional position (with reference to relevant ethical codes), including an analysis of challenges that the question presents for your professional practice.