Essay 1: HRM 3023
Instructions: Watch the following streaming video on Fruit Guys, read the themes and plot statement and answer the questions below. Type your answers in a separate APA style document and submit the document in Blackboard.
The video emphasizes the importance of alignment of organizational culture and HR and HR’s role in helping create and support the organizational culture. The importance of honesty, ethics, and respect in dealing with customers, employees, and suppliers is emphasized. HR operations in a small company are highlighted.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Founder, an operational manager, and a supplier (organic farm owner) discuss the philosophy and specific practices and models that Fruit Guys use in their dealings with employees, customers, and suppliers. The company is concerned about being compassionate and thoughtful more than just ways to increase sales. The importance of not only having healthy and quality products but also using a new business model that treats customers, employees, and suppliers with respect is emphasized.
- The CEO states that HR is more than staffing; it is about creating cultures. How does the integration of HR with the organizational culture contribute to the success of Fruit Guys?
- Describe the social responsibility dimensions of Fruit Guys that are discussed in the video. What are the implications for HR?
- Honesty and ethics are mentioned by the CEO of Fruit Guys to be especially important to the organizational culture. The video doesn’t mention exactly how ethics is made part of the organizational culture but what would be some ways that employees at Fruit Guys would know that ethics is important for success?
- What is HR’s role in organizational ethics?
- What do you think will be the most important challenges for HR at Fruit Guys in the next five years?
- Fruit Guys has a very small HR staff. What are some special issues of HR in smaller organizations?
- Based on the CEO and other manager in the video, it appears that HR at Fruit Guys is expected to be involved in all three roles of HR: Strategic, Operational/Employee Advocate, and Administrative (see Figure 1-5 from your text). Describe an example of HR activities at Fruit Guys required for each of these roles.