Art criticism is the process of gathering facts and information about a work of art and the artist to describe, analyze, interpret, and evaluate art. For this assignment, you will choose one work of art from the following artists to critique.
Select ONE (1) work of art by one of the following artists:
- Mary Cassatt
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- Claude Monet
- Edgar Degas
- Berthe Morisot
- Gustave Caillebotte
Complete the following:
- Identify the artist, the title of the artwork, the date it was completed, and the size of the art piece in the first paragraph.
- Paste an image of the painting in your paper. (The images in the textbook are copyright-protected and cannot be copied. To find the exact painting, search the Internet by the artist’s name and the title of the work. Right-click and copy the image. Open a Word document and right-click and paste. If the image does not paste into your paper, try another image. Sometimes images are protected and cannot be copied. Wherever you do find the image, make sure to cite your source in APA style. If you are unsure how to cite an image, this resource can help you.)
- Use the four steps to critiquing art that are found in Chapter 9 of the Embracing Art textbook to develop a critique of the work. Be sure that you write a well-developed paragraph on each of the four areas indicating specific areas in the painting in your explanation:
- Explain how art can be “aesthetically pleasing” even if it isn’t beautiful?
- How did viewers of the selected work of art respond to the work at the time it was created?
Using a camera or cell phone, take THREE (3) of your own, uniquely different, photographs from your immediate environment that exemplify each of the following styles of art (be creative!):
You can manipulate your photographs with any software effects to achieve the appropriate results. For example, you can take a photo of a friend or family member, and using software, blur the image to represent impressionism.
Include your 3 original photographs in your paper. (Save the photos to your desktop. If you use your phone camera, you can e-mail them to yourself. Open the image and right-click and copy. Open a Word document and right-click and paste.)
Include the following information in paragraph style:
- Number each photo and identify the style it closely resembles.
- Explain the characteristics of each style that you tried to emulate.
- What style of art would best be used to communicate a direct message? Explain
- What style of art would evoke an emotional response? Explain.
- Identify 3 examples of Realism in art or design that you see on a daily basis.
- Describe a situation in which the style of Impressionism might best be used in art and/or design today?
In-text citations and a list of references are required when including or paraphrasing any idea, fact, date, or other information from the textbook or other references.
Hume-Pratuch, J. (2010). There’s an art to it. APA Style Blog. Retrieved fromhttp://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2010/04/theres-an-art-to-it.html
This assignment will also be assessed using additional criteria provided here.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
|Purpose of Assignment and Content Development||Demonstrates an outstanding use of appropriate, relevant, and compelling content with excellent expression of topic, main idea, and purpose.
Demonstrates exemplary knowledge or analysis of human perspectives appropriate to the assignment’s purpose and context.
Graphics accurately reflect the assignment requirements.
|Organization, Grammar and Presentation||Organization is clear.
Language clearly and effectively communicates ideas and content relevant to the assignment.
Presentation and delivery are confident and persuasive (where applicable).
Audience, style, tone and perspective are consistent and appropriate to assignment.
Format is consistently appropriate to assignment, and follows assignment requirements.
Few if any errors in grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.
|Information Literacy and Research||Demonstrates outstanding selection and use of high quality, credible, and relevant sources to develop ideas that are appropriate to the assignment.
Sources are consistently cited according to required style sheet (e.g., APA), with no errors beyond punctuation. Manuscript style is completely correct, according to style sheet guidelines.
|Critical Thinking||Demonstrates outstanding or exemplary ability to analyze assumptions and evaluate evidence, complexities of issues, and alternatives. Where required, demonstrates outstanding or exemplary ability to use creativity and originality in problem-solving.
Quantitative literacy – Demonstrates outstanding ability to provide accurate understanding and explanations of information presented in mathematical forms.
Calculations attempted are essentially all successful and sufficiently comprehensive to solve the problem.